A Gift of Generosity and Controversy
Larkin Goldsmith Meade, an American artist in his studio near Florence, Italy, carved the Carrara marble statue. Legrand Lockwood commissioned the sculpture for his Norwalk, Connecticut, mansion. Meade began the project in 1868 and completed it six years later. Mrs. Lockwood, after the death of her husband, sold the sculpture to D.O. Mills for $30,000.
Mills had been a prominent Sacramento banker and a long-time advocate of Sacramento being established as California's capital. He organized a fundraising effort among local merchants and secured money for the purchase of the original plot of land upon which the Capitol was to be built. His continued support for Sacramento and the Capitol was reflected when he decided to gift the statuary group to the California State Capitol. At the full expense of Mills, workers prepared an appropriate pedestal on which the statue was to be placed. He also funded the cost of shipping the sculpture from the East Coast, which arrived in Sacramento in the summer of 1883.
Not all of California’s citizens agree with Mills that a statue of Columbus is appropriate for the Capitol Rotunda. Before the restoration in the 1970s, members of the Native Sons of the Golden West and other groups suggested that the Legislature relocate the statue and replace it with another statue of an important Californian. After all, Columbus himself never made it to within a couple thousand miles of California. During the restoration, Native American and Latino groups, critical of Columbus’s legacy in ushering in an era of genocide and colonialism for the Native Peoples of the Western Hemisphere, advocated that the statue not be returned to its former location after its temporary removal during the restoration. Despite such criticism, the statue was returned to the Capitol Rotunda.